Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Billy Dan Carroll - Child Molester must pay for own attorney

"All he did was hurt,
I mean he is one of the most evil men I know"


An Austin judge ruled a man accused of molesting at least six children must find a way to pay for his own attorney.

Billy Dan Carroll appeared in court Wednesday wearing a jailhouse jumper with his feet shackled in chains. He asked Judge Melissa Goodwin for a court appointed attorney because Carroll says his wife froze their assets and his business partner dissolved their partnership.

But the state argued weeks ago Carroll was making $200,000 a year, with a $400,000 house and $70,000 in personal property.

The judge ordered Carroll to turn over revenue records showing his assets, but that didn't happen. So Wednesday she ruled he must make some effort to sell property to hire an attorney.

"Mr. Carroll is a very wealthy man. He lived an extravagant lifestyle. He traveled all over the world. He owned his business. He lived in an expensive house," Travis County Asst. District Attorney Dayna Blazey said.

That's pleases Kim Krueger, who says Carroll abused her starting back in 1981.

"I’ve been to Mr. Carroll's home. I know his lifestyle. My mom dated him; they've remained friends up and through the 90's even with his current wife, and he's still talked to my mother. I know he lives a very extravagant life, and to simply say that's he's in jail is no reason he can't access his funds is absurd,” Krueger said.

"All he did was hurt, I mean he is one of the most evil men I know, and I guess for me it's gratifying. I feel justice has been done because for 27 years I prayed every night for something to happen, and it did," she continued.

Through his attorney, Carroll says he understands the judges ruling but isn’t thrilled with it. Carroll says his money needs to go to his wife and daughters. Carroll’s lawyer for the hearing says hiring a private attorney could cost Carroll about a $100,000.

The state says it will present the cases of abuse to a grand jury in about 30 or 40 days.

No comments: