Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dr Gregory Colin Wilson - Court orders Pedophile's name to be released


THE identity of a prominent GP who sexually assaulted two of his teenage female patients can finally be revealed.

The victims of Doctor Gregory Colin Wilson today celebrated the convicted pedophile being "named and shamed" after AdelaideNow successfully overturned a publication ban on his identity.

One woman, who cannot be named, claimed it as "a victory" after almost two decades of suffering and six years of court proceedings.

"I feel like this is a real win, because there were times where I started to question myself and ask why I was doing this," she said.

"But both of us (victims) were doing it for the children we once were, who couldn't stand up for themselves.

"We've come a long way."

Wilson's other victim, Tori Barnes, said she was thrilled to hear the news.

"For six years, Wilson has fought to keep his name under wraps and he's had the money to do it," she said.

"I'm just happy he's going to be out there in the media, and I just can't wait for sentencing."

Wilson, 59, of North Haven, was found guilty by a jury of two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse.

He sexually assaulted the woman, who cannot be named, on two occasions when she was a teenager.

He was, at the time, both her GP and a friend of her family.

Earlier this year, Wilson was found guilty of sexually assaulting Ms Barnes during a family holiday in 1989.

He received a suspended sentence for that offence.

Today, both Ms Barnes and the other woman said they hoped the District Court would jail Wilson this time.

"I want to see him named and shamed, I want to see him jailed, I want his medical licence revoked indefinitely," the woman said.

"Most importantly, I don't want him to be able to ever hurt anyone, the way he hurt us, ever again."

Ms Barnes agreed.

"I was very disappointed he didn't go to jail for (assaulting) me, I hope that this time he actually does," she said.

"He deserves no less a penalty for what he has done to our lives."

No comments: