Thursday, January 31, 2008

John David Hatch, III - Repeat Sex Offender - SCUMBAG

A convicted sex offender was arrested by Sioux Falls police Thursday afternoon after he was allegedly caught exposing his genitals to a young girl, police spokesman Loren McManus said.

John David Hatch, III, 54, on Thursday afternoon was arrested at a home in the 800 block of South Spring Avenue, after the grandfather of a 2-year-old girl allegedly found Hatch on Saturday exposing himself to the girl, who was holding a sex toy, in a shed near the home, McManus said.

The grandfather lives at the home with Hatch, who is the boyfriend of the homeowner, McManus said. The grandfather’s 2-year-old granddaughter and 7-year-old grandson were over visiting on Saturday, he said. Those three, along with Hatch, were watercolor painting in the shed, when the grandfather left to cook food, McManus said.

A few minutes later, he said, the grandfather saw the 7-year-old boy come in to use the bathroom. The grandfather, who told officers he knew Hatch was a registered sex offender, went out to check on his granddaughter, McManus said.

“He goes out to the shed, opens the door, and finds the 2-year-old standing there holding a sex toy and the suspect has his pants down and is exposing his genitals to the 2-year-old,” he said.

The girl and her brother were interviewed, but the girl’s age makes it difficult to determine what exactly happened while she was alone with Hatch in the shed, McManus said.

“At this point we don’t know --- and probably will never know --- if he actually touched the 2-year-old,” he said. “Because of her young age, she is not able to articulate what may or may not have happened.”

Hatch was arrested for indecent exposure to a child less than 13-years-old, which is a felony, and punishable by two years in prison and a $4,000 fine.

Hatch was convicted in Minnehaha County in 1991 for sexual contact with a 9-year-old girl, McManus said.

It is unclear why the grandfather waited to report the incident, but was speaking with parole services officials and finally reported this incident, McManus said.

No comments: