Friday, September 4, 2009

Eric Bousquet - Repeat Sex Offender and Dog Killer too

A convicted sex offender under investigation for alleged child molestation was released from jail yesterday after being arraigned in Hooksett District Court on animal cruelty charges.

Eric Bousquet, 39, turned himself into Hooksett police about noon after a warrant for two counts of animal cruelty had been issued for his arrest. His public defender, Michelle Wagnerin, was present when he turned himself in.
Police visited his home Aug. 18 and found a dead cat and a dog on the brink of death that had to be euthanized. Feces and maggots covered the inside of the home at 102 Howard Ave., police said.

According to court papers, veterinarian Leigh Williamson of the Manchester Animal Hospital told police "that this was the worst case of animal cruelty she had ever worked on."
Bousquet was arraigned in front of Judge Robert LaPointe, who agreed with Wagnerin's argument that Bousquet be released on personal recognizance with strict conditions, including not taking care of animals, staying away from his former home in Hooksett, having a curfew and remaining in contact with probation officers. Wagnerin said Bousquet has been fully cooperative with the latest investigation against him.
Prosecutor Kimberly Chabot argued for $10,000 cash bail, saying Bousquet has a history of not registering his address with police and has been convicted four times for failing to register as a sex offender. Another two cases are pending.

"The state firmly believes he's increasingly a risk of flight," Chabot said.

Hooksett Detective Janet Bouchard said Bousquet is under investigation for molesting four area children, but he has not been charged. The molestation claims were not mentioned in court yesterday.

Bousquet was convicted in 1993 of felonious sexual assault against a 12-year-old Pembroke girl. After serving his sentence, he was convicted in 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2008 with failing to register. Hooksett police arrested Bousquet two weeks ago for his latest case of failing to register.

Bousquet's lawyer said in court he will reside for the next week or two at his parents' home at 13 Bishop Lane, Epsom. Because his parents live in an elderly living complex that prevents him from staying there permanently, he will likely move in with family members in North Conway after that.

Police were called to Bousquet's Howard Avenue home, inside the Park Place Mobile Home Park, after a neighbor climbed through the window because she heard a whimpering dog that she thought was a child, according to court papers.
Detective Matthew Burke arrived and found a dead cat that had been "half eaten by maggots" and a dog that was barely alive with blood and foam coming from its mouth, court papers said.

"Detective Burke observed feces in every room of the house and it had not appeared [that] anyone had been staying in the house for quite some time," court documents said.

Police said the animals had no food or water for a lengthy period of time.
The prosecutor alleges Bousquet abandoned the animals and was barley seen since mid-July at his home, leaving it in disarray for over a month because he owed his landlord seven weeks back rent, Chabot said.

"The defendant, by his own admission, said if he came home at all it was late at night because he owed back rent," Chabot said. "He said he spent time with his mother in Epsom or family members in North Conway."

According to court papers, the landlord told police she attempted to contact Bousquet over 100 times to collect the rent.

The next court hearing for Bousquet's pending case for failing to register as a sex offender, which is being heard in Superior Court, has been set for Nov. 30.

A trial date for the animal cruelty charges has been set for Dec. 16 in Hooksett District Court

"25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years"
.........Sarah Tofte

No comments: