Sunday, March 2, 2008

Leandro R. Dearmas - Repeat Sex Offender Pleads for Execution

“I like a woman, I pay,” he said.
“I’m very sorry my behavior is being bad,
but I have a lot of mental problems.”


A Cuban who claims he has mental problems asked Thursday to be executed for raping a Kansas City woman who was six months pregnant.

Instead, he will spend 50 years in prison with no chance of parole.

The sentence issued Thursday by Jackson County Judge Jay Daugherty means that Leandro R. Dearmas, 44, will have to live to nearly 95 before gaining his freedom again.

A jury convicted him in the 2001 rape. Prosecutors charged him after his DNA sample in a felon database matched semen left in the victim. Dearmas claimed the sex was consensual — the same claim he made following a 1983 rape in Wisconsin. He was convicted there, too.

In both cases, he broke into homes, raped the women and stole a window screen as he left. In Wisconsin, he told the victim to meet him for a date later. In Kansas City, he told the woman he would return and leave money in her mailbox.

As a repeat sex offender, he faced a minimum sentence of 30 years without parole.

During the hearing, Dearmas told his interpreter, “Tell them I want the electric chair — that’s what I want.”

His lawyer asked for the minimum. Assistant prosecutor Trisha Lacey asked for life without parole.

After the sentencing, Dearmas asked, “Why are they abusing me?”

He told the judge that he pays $80 or more for sex. “I like a woman, I pay,” he said. “I’m very sorry my behavior is being bad, but I have a lot of mental problems.”

Daugherty listened calmly to those words and more before responding, “Thanks for your comments.”

He said he believes in giving criminals time to vent after he sentences them to 50 years.

"25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years"
..... Sarah Tofte

13% of all new sex crimes are committed by
registered sex offenders.
Currently registered sex offenders are
one fifth of one percent of the population


0.2% of the population is committing 13%
of all NEW sex crimes
per Sarah Tofte

No comments: