Thursday, October 9, 2008

Marcus Kennedy - Repeat Sex Offender Rapes 12 year old girl

"He raped that little girl, but he also raped me too and he raped me mentally, because I cannot sleep. I hear her screams at night."

Court records show that Kennedy was a registered sex offender had been arrested 30 times, including for assault charges.

Many in the Charlotte community are expressing outcry over how a repeat sex offender was able to be back on the streets.

Marcus Kennedy is charged with kidnapping and raping a 12-year-old girl.

Among those demanding answers is a witness who says the crime will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Hope Brown said the rape happened in front of her home, near a bus stop on Dalecrest Drive where the girl got off.

"I heard the screaming,” recalled Brown. “I saw the guy on top of the little girl. When I asked him what he was doing to her, he looked at me with this evil look."

Brown also described the girl’s reaction.

“She was terrified, she was shaking, she got off the ground and was trying to pull her clothes up,” said Brown.

Kennedy, the alleged rapist, then took off.

However, Brown, her brother and two maintenance workers were not too far behind.

They caught up to him and waited for police to arrive.

“I was determined to get him, I was,” said Brown. “I wasn’t going to let him go.”

Court records show that Kennedy was a registered sex offender had been arrested 30 times, including for assault charges.

He may be off the streets but will be forever on Brown’s mind.

"He raped that little girl, but he also raped me too and he raped me mentally, because I cannot sleep. I hear her screams at night."

Brown said she has to be strong for her own daughter -- just two years older than the victim.

"I think my daughter's going to need some counseling as well, because she knows the little girl, and she's hurting for her and she feels her pain."

Kennedy has been charged with kidnapping and first degree rape.

He is currently at the Mecklenburg County Jail on a $250,000 bond.

"25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years"
.........Sarah Tofte

No comments: