Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Joel Dutton - Repeat Sex Offender - "I'm not a child molester - I just molest 7 year old kids"


A local community is outraged because a convicted sex offender has been set free while he awaits his trial in a second case.
Joel Dutton was convicted of sexual assault in 1999, and now, he is accused of inappropriate conduct with a seven-year-old girl.
"I'm a sex offender, not a child molester. There's a difference. People don't understand that" Dutton told 7News.

Dutton has been charged and is due back in court at a later date.

Neighbors feel that he should not be allowed to live at his home in the meantime because the area is highly populated by children.

Gayle Gillespie has a six-year-old and cannot believe that Dutton would not have any restrictions given his history.

"This is really hard, because yeah, definitely, they don't put strict enough sanctions on these people," Gillespie said.

Dutton feels he is being targeted because of his history.

"I've been through the sex offender counseling. I have done my probation. I have made amends with the victim and he is still in my life today," Dutton said.

Some neighbors plan to sign a petition to get Dutton off their street.
"We all make mistakes. Nobody's perfect, but to continue to make mistakes and then be out on bail, I don't think that's right," said Elaina Hebert, a neighbor.
Police said they understand the frustration of those in the neighborhood, but there is no law that can force the man out of his home.

"25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years"
.........Sarah Tofte

Sometimes when they're out on bail

No comments: